St Kilda is a suburb of the metropolitan area of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 km south-east of Melbourne’s Central Business District. St Kilda was named after a sailing ship ‘Lady of St Kilda’, which moored at the main beach for much of 1841. The ship was later shipwrecked off the coast of Tahiti in 1843. The schooner Lady of St Kilda was itself names after Lady Rachel Erskine Grange of the island of St Kilda, an isolated archipelago in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. The name St Kilda for the island, first appears on a Dutch map dated 1666, and that it may have been derived from Norse ‘sunt kelda’, meaning “sweet wellwater”. However other theories exist as to the origin of the name St Kilda and it is a matter of conjecture.
Painted Skies The calm waters of the bay reflect the painted skies at the St Kilda Harbour. The Eureka Tower which is the tallest building in Melbourne and one of the tallest in the southern hemisphere can be seen in far distance on the extreme right.
Spirit of Sunset A couple and their Labrador puppy take a walk on an autumn evening. In the distance the Spirit of Tasmania, a passenger ferry that operates between Melbourne and Davenport in the island of Tasmania, is moored at the Station Pier.
Blue Shimmer A few seagulls float on the blue waters of the St Kilda Marina. The masts of sailboats can bee seen the distance on the horizon.
Crimson St Kilda waters at low tide reflecting the crimson skies at sunset.
Sunset Symmetry Calm winds in the Port Phillip Bay have allowed for the rare opportunity to photograph a mirror like reflection of the leopard skin like clouds.